Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Doylestown Race

This past weekend was the Doylestown 5k. It was hot and humid!! I think it was nearly 80 by the time I got to the start line and the humidity was at about 90%. It certainly made things interesting. It was using chip timing, and I may have over estimated what those chips can do. I was under the impression that they didn't start recording your time until you physically passed the starting line and that they also logged when you crossed the finish line. Since I was under this impression I stayed towards the back of the crowd and after the horn blew I waited patiently so I wouldn't be bumping into people to go. Doylestown is an older town and the streets are a bit narrow, and the people who lived along the race route were not required to park in their driveways. So combining nearly a thousand people on car lined narrow streets was not my idea of a good time.

Apparently I'm wrong, because the official time given to me was the one that I saw as I crossed the finish line. So to make myself feel better I'm shaving off 10 seconds. Those 10 seconds somehow mean the world to me. I'm also starting to think I didn't something wrong with my chip. When I look up my results on the web the chip time is blank. Just the clock time is filled out. I guess I'll get the hang of this eventually.

This morning I head out the door at 6 am and it was already 77 degrees out. The heat is killer. I almost can't wait for September. I'm hoping when it cools down that I'll see my race times improving. The disparity between the treadmill and the outdoors continues to kill me.

There's a 5k not even 2 miles from my house on Sunday. I haven't registered for it. I'm thinking of just showing up and paying the race day registration price. I'm just gonna play it by ear and see if I'm up in time (though I can't imagine not being up by 7:30).

The weight is still staying the same. I seem to hang between 237 and 240. It's not terrible. I know that I can do it, but have the hardest time with all the parties that are neverending in the summer. I'm pretty sure we have one every weekend from now until the end of July and that's only because no one plans futher out than that in advance.

Here's to being good!


  1. What type of chip timer did they use? THe one on the shoe? How did you do it? If the chip time is blank I would assume that means your chip malfunctioned or wasn't on properly.

    Great job on the run, none the less! You are doing great!

    1. Yes, it was the one on the shoe. I just looped it and laced my shoelaces over it. I did notice that at some point I must have bent it (could have been Desmond standing on my foot), so I'm chalking it up to that.

      I did one this past weekend and the chip was attached to the bib. That one worked! I was super happy with that (the fact that it worked at least - the time was ok).

      I think next time it's a shoe one I'm just going to wait until the last possible moment to attach it, instead of doing it before I leave the house.

  2. This comment has been removed by the author.